Buying a home is one of the most major decisions a person can make. For the first time home buyer it can be like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool with no floaties. Many first time home buyers have experienced credit issues or just haven't been able to establish a savings program that allows the affordability of a large down payment. Specialized loan programs for the first time home buyer can make the process easier.
The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs, known as TDCHA, offers just such a first-time home buyer program targeted to assist qualified homebuyers. The "My First Texas Home" program makes it easier for a first time homebuyer to navigate the home loan mortgage process. This program is available to first time homebuyers, veteran or a buyer who has not owned a home within the past three years. Features of the program include:
- Government or conventional 30-year fixed rate interest rate mortgage loans
- Down payment and/or closing cost assistance up to 5% of the loan amount
- Available to qualified home buyers from all professions
- Option for a dollar-for-dollar (up to $2,000) income tax credit on federal income tax liability through the Texas Mortgage Credit Certificate Program
- Programs can be combined for maximum benefit
Basic eligibility criteria for the My First Texas Home Program is:
- Be a first time home buyer, veteran, or have not owned a home (for primary residence) within the last 3 years
- Meet income and loan requirements
- Property located in Texas and not exceed purchase price limit
- Have a minimum credit score of 620
- Other requirements may apply
The My First Texas Home Program is available statewide through a network of participating lenders. To obtain more information about this program, contact a My First Texas Home Program Specialist. Rick Allen-Realtor® is a My First Texas Home Program Specialist. You may contact him at 956-571-5586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit his website at www.rickallenrealtor.com.